Quick Cocinero’s Recipe of the Week
Happy October everyone – it is officially Fall! Depending on where you live, you may have gotten SNOW this morning – like us here in Calgary, Alberta. A bit shocking but this weather has got us thinking; we should find some meal prep recipes so that we don’t need to venture too far out in the snow!
- 1 cup freekeh or other grain (quinoa, bulgur, etc.)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- a sprinkle of dried spices that you like, or a few sprigs of thyme, rosemary, etc.
- 1 large apple
- 1 bunch parsley (about 1 cup), minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- juice of one lemon (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon agave (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Rinse the grains and place them in a rice cooker with the appropriate amount of broth or water (refer to package directions – it depends on the grain). Set on the white rice setting and prep the other stuff while it cooks. This can also be cooked in a regular pot.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Chop the cauliflower into small florets. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add a few sprigs of thyme or other dried spices – use what you like! Roast for 20 minutes, stir, and roast for another 10-15 minutes. When they are golden brown and soft, remove from oven and set aside.
- While the veggies are roasting, combine all dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight lid and shake to combine. Chop the apple and set aside.
- When the grains and vegetables are done, toss everything together. This can be done when everything is hot or when it’s cooled, although the texture will be different (heavier) when hot. Store leftovers separately (salad and dressing) if possible.