Quick Cocinero’s Recipe of the Week
Happy (almost) Halloween! This week we’ve brought you a holiday-themed recipe: Thick & Creamy Pumpkin Soup! As soon as Halloween is over, all of the Halloween Candy AND pumpkins go on sale at the supermarket. So we suggest you head on down there in the next few days and grab yourself a fresh pumpkin to make this soup out of (or scones or pie or tarts or bread!). If this isn’t an option or if you are looking for an easy alternative, canned pumpkin will also work just fine.
This week’s featured recipe is from Cafe Delites! Served with crispy bacon, this soup will quickly become your new FAVOURITE soup for this fall weather! This thick, creamy soup is the perfect mixture between healthy and comfort food. This particular recipe makes 6 servings but feel free to double or even triple the recipe if you are looking to feed more people or have leftovers. Make this soup on Sunday and you have dinner made for the whole week! Happy cooking!
- 2 pounds | 1 kg pumpkin , skin and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 onion , roughly chopped
- 2 medium-sized potatoes , peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot , peeled and diced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (stock)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes , crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste (if needed)
- 1/2 cup half and half (or light cream)
- 1/2 cooked bacon , to serve (optional)
- Fresh parsley, to serve (optional)
Place all of the ingredients, except the cream, in a large pot or saucepan. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
Take the pot off the heat. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
Now, add the cream and stir through (do not boil after adding cream).
Add any salt or pepper if needed, and serve with bacon and parsley (if desired).
- Ready to serve! Enjoy this delicious, creamy soup with a piece of bread or some crackers to add some crunch to the meal.